Case Study - Kotuku House Renovation
Auckland City Council engaged Cushman & Wakefield has Head Contractors to refurbish the Kotuku House office facility in Manukau. The Kotuku House facility has a total of around 4,500m2 of office space spread over 5 separate floors.
The refurbishment works were delivered through a phased approach so that the building remained fully functional and operational during the construction works. The works comprised mainly of the de-construction of existing ceilings and in ceiling services, floor coverings and partitions to each floor allowing for a more open plan and collaborative new layout. A brand-new HVAC ducted air system with separate FCU’s was installed and this was all incorporated into a new building management system. The construction works commenced late September 2016 with the projected completion by May 2017.
- Fully operational Building with a complete safe working environment for the existing staff during renovations
- Short Construction period for each level to minimize disruption to employees
- Complete construction, site and health and safety management
- Isolated demolition and rubbish removal with as much emphasis on the re-use and re-cycle approach as possible
- Consent, close out and compliance management
Cushman and Wakefield provided an innovative approach to meet deadlines and the tight timescales required for the project. This included utilizing both in house trades and sub contractors all working together on some difficult design and build elements of the contract. This initially requiring a lot of out of hours work.
- Noisy works completed out of hours to minimise disruption.
- HVAC shutdowns completed out of hours for same reasons
- Simultaneous programmed works to meet deadlines
- Permanent on site project manager, for site problem solving and cost saving
- Teamwork approach with external consultants.
Cushman and Wakefield's collaborative approach to the project along with open and honest communications across all fields resulted in an exceptional out come with the project completed on time and budget and to a high standard of finish.